No Bones About It: Keep Your Pet Safe This Thanksgiving

The holiday season is upon us! Which means lots of yummy food for the family, but potential hazards for our pets. The biggest concerns for our pets on Thanksgiving are pancreatitis and ingestion of bones.

Hungry beagle looks on dinner table with served meal

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas -an organ essential for digestion – that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, lethargy, and can be fatal if left untreated. Pancreatitis is most common in smaller breeds – i.e. Miniature Schnauzers, Yorkshire Terriers, and can occur when your pet is given a new food that is rich or high in fat, i.e. turkey!

Yorkie puppy sitting in a fall bucket with Autumn leaves and pumpkins around him, on a white background.

Bone ingestion can occur from eating the garbage or getting table scraps. Bone isn’t easily digested through the gastrointestinal tract and can sometimes cause an obstruction and require surgical removal.

A black cat sits on top of a holiday dinner table.

We do not recommend feeding table scraps to your furry family members and to prevent these diseases, we advise taking your trash out as soon as it’s full or keep out of reach of the animals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>