The fall season is a beautiful time of year, with brightly colored leaves, crisp weather, and delicious treats, but it can also be a dangerous time of year for our pets! The veterinary team at St. Mark’s Veterinary Hospital provides a number of pet safety tips to ensure that your best friends are safe all season long!
- Halloween Candy. Sugary, sugar free, and chocolate treats are all dangerous for our pets if consumed, so always remember to keep them out of reach!
- Pumpkins and Candles. Lit candles can cause serious burn injuries if knocked over, so we recommend that you use battery-operated candles in your jack-o-lanterns this fall.
- When you’re choosing your pet’s Halloween costume this year, be sure that it’s comfortable and properly fitting. If your pet appears uncomfortable at any point, we recommend removing the costume promptly.
- Pest Preventives. The fall season is a huge time for fleas and ticks to be searching for a warm host. Remember to keep using pest preventives all year round!
- The lawn fertilizers used at the end of the season are stronger and can be more dangerous than summer fertilizers. Be sure to follow all application instructions, including recommendations for keeping your pet off the lawn.
- Antifreeze is a commonly-used cold-weather chemical that can poison our pets if consumed! The bad news is that it smells and tastes sweet to them, so it’s very important to keep it stored out of reach.
- Pest Poison. Having a rat or mouse problem is no laughing matter, but neither is the use of poison which can also injure or kill our pets if mishandled! We recommend using traps instead of poison if you have household pets.
- Bonfire Safety. Bonfires are fun fall activities, but the flying sparks and hot coals can be dangerous for our pets! Make sure to always keep an eye on your best friend around fires.
- Hiking Safety. Fall has great weather for hiking adventures. If you’re taking your pet on a hike, be sure to dress them in orange if you’re in an area where hunting is allowed. Always keep their pest preventive up-to-date, carry plenty of drinking water for them, and check their paws after the hike to make sure no injury was incurred.
- Food Safety. During the holidays, our pets love being in on the action, but many of our holiday foods are dangerous for them to eat! Avoid feeding your pet such things as grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, poultry bones, chocolate, and more.
If you have questions about your pet’s safety this season, please contact the St. Marks Veterinary Hospital team. That’s what we’re here for!