Pet of the Month Read our Blog

Hospital Hours

Monday - Friday
8am - 8pm

Saturday & Sunday
9am - 5pm


Giba's Story

After coming home from a business trip, I couldn’t wait to pick up Giba, my 31-year-old Mexican Double Yellow head parrot from the pet store where she was boarding. It was just 2 weeks, but when you’ve been together for over 3 0years, it doesn’t take much time for me to miss her. A couple of weeks later, I noticed that she was very quiet. When she didn’t come out of her cage for me, I became concerned. I took her to St. Marks Veterinary Hospital to get her checked out. Giba was always so strong and healthy, I didn’t imagine it could be anything serious. When Dr. Haddock told me there was a serious problem and Giba had lost a third of her original body weight, I was stunned. Giba was dying. Suddenly, I was gripped with the possibility of losing the thing I loved most. I was devastated. How could this be? I couldn’t stop crying. I was in emotional agony, like a nightmare I couldn’t wake up from. On the subway, to and from the hospital to visit Giba, all I could do was pray.

A few days later, the deadly quiet that hung over my apartment was broken when the phone rang. It was Dr. Haddock. She wanted to know if Giba had ever been tested for Psittacosis. If she was infected, this was a treatable disease, although Dr. Haddock cautioned me that Giba was so thin and debilitated that it might still be too late. Call it divine intervention, but suddenly there was hope. The test came back POSITIVE! Immediately, Giba was started on the treatment. To everyone’s amazement, in just a few days, Giba started eating. I was thrilled and started bringing over all of her favorite gourmet foods-mashed potatos from Nadine’s, Wonton Soup from Baby Buda. Giba started to gain weight; she was on her way to recovery. As Giba squawked and screamed into my ear, a quiet euphoria swelled inside me. She was going to make it. I felt so blessed to have my baby back and healthy again.

All this was happening while Dr. Haddock was pregnant with her daughter Sara. In fact, the day after Sara was born, Sally came to work just to check on Giba. That was over seven years ago when Dr. Sally Haddock, in the dead of winter, gave birth to one life, and saved two others.

Eternally grateful,
Peter & Gib